One of my Handpainted Santa Ornaments
Our Big Oak Tree Catastrophe has put us way behind on our Christmas decorations this year. As I see the lights up and down my street, I feel sad that we have none outside yet, and might not get things cleaned up in time to do much in our yard. And because I’ve been working outside on that Hot Mess, I haven’t done anything inside yet, either. For me, this is a first in my entire adult life. Normally, our outside lights go up the Friday after Thanksgiving, and all the boxes (53) are brought down from the attic and left in the appropriate room, so I can work on the inside stuff for the next ten days to two weeks. This year, nothing…yet. But I’m not giving up. I’m giving myself a week to do it, and whatever isn’t up by next Tuesday will go back into the attic until next year. It’s all I can do.
I have been in love with Christmas all my life…the lights, the magic, the whole spirit and feeling of it all. I love the church pageants and the open houses and the family visits. But most of all, I love Santa Claus. In my heart, I still believe, you know.
I’ve been collecting Santas for over 40 years, and I have a lot of them. A. Lot. Over 300 at last count, from one inch tall to life sized, and in every type of costume and guise. I thought it might be fun to share a few photos with you, since my garden is in Down Mode, so here goes:
Our family room mantel is where I like to put my collection of Old World Santas. Some of these were handpainted by me, others were collected over the years ,or gifts from friends and family who indulge my obsession. (You know you are in serious trouble when your two favorite men in the world are Santa Claus and The Wizard of Oz!) Don’t forget to click on the images to see them full sized, and in detail.
- Mantel and more of family room from a distance. See my life-sized boy? That was a Christmas present from my daughter a couple of years ago. She sweet talked the Publix manager into giving her the Coca Cola display. Don’t tell anyone. I don’t think it’s allowed. But isn’t he beautiful? He’s pointing at my library tree, which has mostly Santas on it, too. (Ignore the white floor fan. Not a decoration…just a sometimes necessity during a Florida Christmas!)
- A closer look at the Big Boy. He makes me smile all over!
- Close up of some of the Santa ornaments on the library tree. The one in the center with the blue cap is one of my hand-painted ones. I used to do so much of that, but haven’t been painting a lot lately. I need to get back to it. Just as soon as I finish writing my book.
- My granddaughter, Tabitha, showing off the Wizard of Oz tree, which she decorated mostly by herself last year. She’s a hambone! *grin*
- Tabitha again, being all Vanna White by my blue & silver living room tree. It’s her favorite.
- I’ll put up a few more pictures later in another post. I have to get back to THIS year’s decorating. Hope this was fun for you, and maybe got you to feeling all Christmasy!